Saturday 19 May 2018

European Bee-eater at Sandwich


European Bee-eater.

Yesterday the 18th May i heard that there was a European Bee-eater being seen on & off at Worth & Sandwich bay , later in the evening it had become loyal to one area opposite the entrance to Restharrow scrape.

I decided to try my luck and headed over there and arrived at approx 7pm , there was only one other birder there who kindly informed me that the Bee-eater was still here but a little bit more distant on the wires and sure enough there it was in all it's glory !!!

Taking off from the wires.

I had decent scope views but really it was to far to get any photos although i was quite pleased i managed a flight shot through my scope (see above photo).

Eventually the European Bee-eater flew closer and alighted in a much closer bush and the views through the scope were simple stunning.

Stunning colour's.

You can just about make out the red eye.

I took lot's of photo's (mainly digi scoping) but also some with my camera.


European Bee-eater.

On checking my notes this European Bee-eater is my personal first at Sandwich and a welcome new bird to my Sandwich Bay bird list.

I had a quick look from the hide over looking Restharrow scrape and added Comm Sandpiper to my year list plus Avocet, Little Grebe & Mute Swan amongst others were all seen.

Mute Swan.

I also had a drive along the Ancient highway and saw & heard lot's of Corn Buntings & Common Whitethroat's plus there was quite a few Swallows , i also had a brief view of a Short eared Owl.








No comments: