Saturday 17 January 2015

Chilham & Oare Birding

Great Grey Shrike at Chilham.

I was debating whether to drive to Nicholls Quarry for the Night Heron or stay more local , i didn't fancy the hassle or walk for the Heron so opted to try and see the Great Grey Shrike at Chilham which i saw quite well although it was a bit flighty today , however i did manage a couple of photos of it perched on the wires .

Great Grey Shrike 

I also added Song Thrush and Green Woodpecker here which were also new birds for the year for me.

I then called into Oare Marshes for the first time this year and pulled up in the " Pull in " it was fairly quite looking out over the East Flood , lots of Tufted Ducks , Shoveler , Teal and Pintail.

Male Pintail.

Male & Female Pintails.


Close male Teal .



I parked up and had a walk  along the sea wall and added several wader species , Dunlin , Curlew and Redshank in good numbers plus 200+ Avocets were busy feeding and flying up and down the Swale , i only saw  singles of Grey Plover & Oystercatcher plus a couple of Turnstones , however i did add 2 Rock Pipits to my year list.