Saturday 17 May 2014

Short trip to Oare Marshes

Flyover Oystercatcher.

I spent a very enjoyable couple of hours at Oare today , i bumped into Murray and Richard on arrival and they gave me the local gen , good to catch up with them they are always very helpful and informative . I then had a quick look over the West side of the reserve but didn't really add much and proceeded to head back along the East flood behind the hide where i had close views of an Oystercatcher which had a bit of a fly around , i also had a couple of Swallows over the flood .

Silhouetted Swallow.

I then checked through the Black Tailed Godwits and located the 2 Bar Tailed Godwits which Murray had told me about , there were plenty of Lapwing and Redshank but generally the wader list was rather small on this visit , i heard but could not locate a Lesser Whitethroat behind the hide and i then carried on my walk towards the sluice adding several butterflies including Orange Tip , Green Veined White and Peacock. I also saw the usual Peregine on one of the Pylon's.

A very vocal Sedge Warbler.

I walked along the sea wall towards the sea hide  and heard and saw several Sedge and Reed Warblers all along the sea wall plus approx half a dozen Bearded Tits showed themselves every so often.

Another pic of the Sedge Warbler.

I continued my walk back along the road towards my car and enjoyed a very close view of a drake Mallard by my car plus a family gathering of Greylag Geese opposite.

Very close drake Mallard.

Family party of Greylag Geese.

There was a good count of Avocet's on the East flood including some on nests.

Avocets.