Friday 15 July 2022

Special Visitor to the Garden ....

                                             27th June  to 5th July 2022

                                            Special Visitor to my Garden


                                                             

Juvenile Turtle Dove on my car roof !!!

On the 27th June in the late afternoon we had just had a storm with lot's of thunder and heavy rain , for no particular reason i happen to just look out the back window and noticed a Dove sat on top of my car roof , well i get lot's of Collared Doves visit my garden but very rarely do they sit on my car.

My first thought was it could be unwell or trying to avoid 1 of the 3 'Terror Cats' in the area which i have nicknamed : 

' Killer Cat ',  a fat black & white cat that i have seen chase down Grey Squirrel.
'Wild Cat', a Tabby which seems quite docile but looks very much like a Wild Cat .
'Shadow', a black cat that used to use my garden as a toilet and lurks in the shadows !!

Nothing like an active imagination to make the day go by i guess..... anyhow back to the mystery Dove on my car roof, well i grabbed my camera and took a couple of distant photos and on checking them i realised i was looking at a Juvenile Turtle Dove !!!!

Having a feed on mixed seed.

I only have a very small urban garden and certainly never expected to see such a special bird like a Turtle Dove here.

Waiting for me to put some more seed down

Often spent time sleeping in next doors tree.

Liked this aerial for some reason.

Lovely markings.

Having another snooze.

I feel very privileged to have had this wonderful Turtle Dove make a brief appearance in my garden and share a small part of it's life with me.

I first saw it on the 27th June and last saw it on 5th July , so in total it spent 9 days on & off here, by the time it departed it was beginning to show some neck markings .

Turtle Dove.