Saturday 20 May 2023

Stodmarsh & Worth Marshes

                                       Stodmarsh  :  16th  May 2023


                                              

Hobby.

There had been a female Red Footed Falcon seen for a few days at Stodmarsh so i thought i would try my luck on Tuesday 16th May.

I bumped into Steve.A. & Steve.R. along the Lampen Wall who informed me the RFF spent most of it's time hawking over the back of the lake near the distant trees.

Checking me out !!

Having no scope with me made the job of trying to see the RFF a lot harder, however i persisted in my pursuit, there were lots of Hobby to keep me entertained and some come quite low down giving me a chance to get a photo or 2 .

Catching a Dragonfly.


Hobby.

Eventually there were a few of us gathered along the Lampen wall when one of our number got onto the RFF , i managed to get a brief view before it passed into the Sun and then was lost to view.

A little while later the RFF was seen well by us all but a bit to far for a photo sadly.

We were all treated to a couple of real bonus birds , firstly a Glossy Ibis was picked out by Arnie flying over the Lampen wall heading towards the Ox Bow, then an adult Purple Heron was picked out by Chris .P. heading straight towards us, it flew right over the Lampen Wall heading towards Collards Lake.

Here are a selection of photos i took of the Purple Heron.





Adult Purple Heron.


Worth Marshes  :  18th May 2023

2 of the 4 Black Winged Stilts.

News of  4 Black Winged Stilts  & 3 Temminck's Stints at Worth Marshes had me grabbing my birding gear and heading straight there.

I instantly saw the 4 Black Winged Stilts in their majestic appearance , however the 3 Temminck's Stints were alot harder to locate, thankfully AL was on hand to give me some directions to the area they were sleeping in and eventually i managed to see at least 2 of them.



Black Winged Stilt.

The heat haze made photography pointless but i did manage some Digi scoped efforts, other birds of note were 2+ Wood Sandpipers, 2+ Little Ringed Plovers & 3 + Garganey.