Tuesday 23 August 2011

Quick visit to Oare

Little Egret.

Being on stand by at work today gave me the chance to pop over to Oare Marshes this afternoon , a  look over the East Flood gave me great views of this smart Little Egret , there were up to 4 Knot , and very high numbers of both Redshank and Black Tailed Godwit , at least 10 Ruff and several Avocets were seen .

Little Egret.

I left the East Flood and headed towards the slip way over looking the Swale in the hope of seeing my target birds which came out on the pager earlier on today , parked up and then noticed Murray Wright the regular patch watcher at Oare and two other birders i didn't know , Murray greeted me with the news the 9 ad Curlew Sandpipers (my target birds) were still there and feeding on the up coming tide line , great i soon got my scope on them and was enjoying some fantastic views Murray and his birding mates said there goodbyes after awhile and i spent another 40 minutes watching these superb waders , i did manage a couple of record shots and even by my poor standards are not that good .

3 of the 9 Curlew Sandpipers

And 7 of the 9.

Eventually they took to the air with some Black Tailed Godwits and appeared to drop down into the East flood , i made my there and did  brief scan but could not relocate them but did see 6 Common Snipe and 8 Common Sandpipers .