Friday 13 February 2015

All Quiet in the Woods & Purple Sandpipers at Hampton


Purple Sandpiper & Turnstone.


 On Tuesday the 10th February i decided to check out East Blean woods in my quest to see Lesser Spotted Woodpecker for the first time since 2010 , well to keep along story short i never saw or heard any on this visit , it's been quite a few years since my last visit to this woodland and checking my notes from back then i did see 3 LSW on that visit , i am sure they are still here just wasn't my lucky day this time , i did hear then see a Lesser Redpoll which was a new bird for the year . I decided to then pop over to Hampton to see the Purple Sandpipers that are often on the rocks before the pub and i wasn't disappointed as 2 birds showed well among the Turnstones.                                                      
                                                                                 
One of 2 Purple Sandpipers with a Turnstone.

Purple Sandpiper.

Love how the water rolls over it's back.

From here i headed to Swalecliffe in the hope of seeing the recently reported Snow Buntings , i walked along the grass path over the wooden bridge and along the shingle ridge with no joy with the Buntings however i did add 3 Ringed Plovers to my year list , on my return journey i heard the Snow Buntings flight call and then counted 8 birds showing their lovely white wings as they flew over me heading towards Hampton , really pleased to see these birds , shame i never managed to see them feeding on the ground , here's a photo of a Snow Bunting i saw at Reculver last year.

Snow Bunting from Reculver in 2014.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to add a comment on my blog.