Monday 14 May 2012

Nightjar in daylight....... Plus Squacco

Adult Squacco Heron.

I  headed to Blagdon Lake in Somerset for the smart looking Squacco Heron which was  only my 2nd in the UK , i was straight on the bird when i arrived , these have to be one of my favourite herons , i carried on to the car park  , on my walk back i saw the Squacco flying off and luckily it landed in the nearby bushes where it was perched out in the open .

Squacco climbing through the bushes .

The Squacco Heron spent alot of the time preening giving me a real treat of its fine plumage and every now and again it would spread its brilliant white wings which was stunning to see , it also had a curious habit of breaking off reed steams and then just dropping them , i enjoyed watching this bird for over an hour plus there were several Reed Warblers nearby being very vocal , i also saw a Great Spotted Woodpecker flying over head and landing in a nearby tree , there were up to 3 Common Buzzards soaring over head .

Common Buzzard .

I had heard news  of a Nightjar  perched at the bottom of a rose bush in Pagham and as it was on my route back i headed off to Pagham , i arrived in good time and after a little confusion of where to go i finally found my self on the right path and was soon enjoying fantastic views of a Nightjar in daylight .

Stunning view of a Nightjar .

This is by far the best view of a Nightjar i have ever had , i have seen them many times over the years . even perched on tree branches but never so close and in broad daylight , simply a stunning birding experience .

Another view of the Nightjar .

I also heard Cettis Warbler plus had some brief views of Reed Warbler , i also heard a distant Corn Bunting , a really great day out .