Saturday 28 November 2015

Pallid Harrier in .... Norfolk

Juvenile Pallid Harrier.

I left home at 5am yesterday morning the 27th November and my destination was Snettisham Rspb reserve in Norfolk and my target was to to try and see the juvenile Pallid Harrier which would be  a welcome year tick for me.

Top side view of the Pallid Harrier.

I arrived in good time and made my way to the southern end of the pits which was approx 30 mins walk , there was a constant movement of Fieldfares following me along the trail , such great birds to see & hear.

One of many Fieldfare.

The trail eventually took me up to the sea wall where i could see thousands of waders & geese , a really impressive sight indeed especially when they took to the sky's , fantastic experience.

Just a small section of the Golden Plover flock.

I eventually reached the south end of the pits and saw a Barn Owl hawking over the salt marsh.


Cracking Barn Owl.

I looked for a good vantage point to be able to scan over the salt marsh and distant pine belt and once i got myself into position i immediately got onto the Pallid Harrier as it was gliding over the bank ,  and i enjoyed some very prolonged views , other birders joined me as i enjoyed the show the Pallid Harrier put on for us , it was constantly harassing & spooking the Starlings and waders in the salt marsh.

Only 4 primaries.

The collar very noticeable.

I watched this for over an hour , it even perched at one point , it also on occasion swooped down grabbing clumps of grass before dropping it again.

Digi scoped view of Pallid Harrier perched.

There was also 5+ Marsh Harriers and a single Spoonbill out on the marsh. I decided to head off to Thornham to try and see some Twite  , well I no sooner got out of the car when i saw them , at least nine birds feeding quite close.

Twite.

In flight.

My last desination of the day was Lynford Arboretum where i had a good selection of birds including , Siskin , Treecreeper, Goldcrest , Blue,Great,Coal & Marsh Tits however my main target bird  Hawfinch didn't show up , however at least ie now know the right area to look  (thanks Jake) next time i am up this way. Great days birding .